Saturday 14 September 2019

Should You Reciprocate Follows on Twitter?


It's a common problem that many people face when it comes to using Twitter. Should you follow back every person who follows you? Should you expect the people you follow to return the favor? Many Twitter users will say yes but I take a different stance on this.

Getting offended when someone you follow doesn't Followers UK  you back is just going to cause you more grief and stress than you need or want. In my opinion, it's not what Twitter is about anyway.


I have over 23,000 followers and I assure you I do not follow them all back. I follow people who don't follow me back but if they tweet something that is beneficial to me, it's worth following them.

Twitter shouldn't be about reciprocal followings- "I'll follow you if you follow me". Unfortunately, there will always be people who equate it to some type of popularity contest.

I do try to take time to look at the feeds of my new followers and thank them for following but you can @ someone without following back. While I follow most back, I don't feel obligated to do so. I don't want anyone who I follow to feel obligated to follow me back, either. It's great if they want to but it shouldn't be required.

I want people to follow me because they like something about my bio or they enjoy my previous tweets, not because they think doing so will make me follow them back.

Ultimately, people can use Twitter however they feel like, provided it is within the terms of use so no user should expect others to follow their own guidelines for etiquette but there are always those people who think everyone should do what they want.


Increasing your following on Twitter means you increase the number of people who will "potentially" see your tweets.

There are many automated online services to help you do this - twollo.com is the one I use. Most of them let you set the criteria for the people you want to follow. And it's fine to use them.

However, I like to mix some old-fashioned one-to-one marketing in with the automation to build some solid relationships within the community of these followers.

The method I employ could be called "follow-the-followed". Every morning, I turn on the computer and login to Twitter. I then click on @kjmastaw to see if anyone has replied or retweeted one of my recent updates. Usually, I find several. I will then reply or say thanks or whatever to the person that did the retweeting or replying. The next step is to click on the people they follow. I then go down the list and follow those who:

a) I'm not already following;
b) have a photo with their tweet. This is important. I want "people" following me; and
c) have posted within the last 24 hours. I don't want infrequent tweeters on my list.

Normally, these people will follow back.

I go through and do this for as long as possible which means either I run out of time or I hit my following limit, whichever comes first.

Follow this procedure, daily, and I guarantee that you will have at least 100 new followers at the end of each day.

Everyone wants to get their product or service out on Twitter; how do you accomplish this? With your large amount of Followers--wait, do you even have a lot of Followers? Well, an easy way to get those amounts of Followers is just simply by taking things easily; easing into your Follower count is the most important way of getting Followers.

An important part of gaining Followers is keeping them. Getting Followers is important, but keeping them is even more important; it's sort of like getting eggs in a basket, and some might just drop out of the basket simply because they don't like the basket. That's where you need to mend the basket and weave the eggs in by creating close relationships. If you gain Followers too fast, you might not be able to create a relationship with everyone, and those eggs will just fall out.


However, even though you may be on the track to success, keep your ratio balanced. If you have a Friend to Follower ratio of about 2, you might want to make that a 1. When people notice that you are Following a huge number of people with minimal amounts of Followers, you might be marked as a spammer, and if it continues, your account may become suspended. Taking it evenly and slowly is the best way to gain Followers UK

No comments:

Post a Comment