Tuesday 3 September 2019

As Seth Godin Would Say, "Are You Developing a Tribe to Follow You?"


Think about this, when you are leading, do you actually have followers? When you are using your social media and marketing sites, are you Facebook'ing, Tweeting, or Link'ing, and creating a "tribe" of Followers Australia, or just trying to make a connection?

I have been researching and trying to connect with the world of opportunities within the social media marketing venue, higher ed, management and leadership, for a few months now, and it is, and can be, very overwhelming. There is a myriad of options to log-in to, create, implement, join, share, or just publish stories or communications in which you come across on a daily basis. Sometimes I ask myself, is there enough time in one day to actually "stay connected" as much as you need to? What is considered "enough"? It is a huge plethora of an atmosphere to tap in to and to understand. As I continue to try to make my connections and to stay abreast of this new and crazy, yet fast and always changing world, I am learning things on a daily basis. I have created my personal/social pages and my professional pages, and sometimes I even get them both confused when I am posting, depending on what site I am logged into, or what site I am logged in 'as', or should it be @, #, etc. Some things I want friends to see, and other items I want to share and connect with my colleagues and business connections. But geez, if I am not logged in to the correct version of the site, I am posting business for pleasure, and pleasure for business. Talk about overwhelming and confusing! It is absolutely nuts! But I have become such an addict at it now that I am not sure how to stop.

Until one day when I realized that just "connecting" is not enough. Developing a "tribe" of followers, and determining what it is that I am trying to point out, or who it is I am trying to connect with and what our shared vision is, is more difficult then it sounds. When I look at company Facebook pages, and try to relate to a brand, a logo, or a product, most of the time I find that the message is missing. Why do I want to look at a site that posts pictures only, but does not create a shared mission or vision with the audience in which they are trying to connect with. Do I care that a particular drink company posts their new logo, but does not tell me why I should drink this particular product? I compared this same philosophy to that of the organizations of which I have worked, and I found some similar issues. Does our site have a brand, does our logo stand out, and do our followers "follow" us for a reason? What is our message, why are we trying to network with others in the first place? It is so much more than a broader picture than having these questions answered by someone in a marketing/advertising department, because everyone shares in the insights that should go into building a particular company/product site to meet these expectations.
  This same thing correlates to those who we are trying to connect with. Instead of sending a basic message to connect, stating how you think, or feel, you know him/her, send a brief message stating the shared interest you have with one another, or why you are wanting to stay connected with them; i.e. looking for recruiters who have connections in my area, looking to hire, my mission/vision matches your mission/vision, our products are similar, etc. I think we can all attest to the fact that we get "connected" on a daily basis, by a basic e-mail, or invite increasingly more and more every day, but can we answer the question as to why we want to connect with that person, or what we have in common? Those of us in the higher education industry, or sales industry, know that we are always focusing on the "WIIFM" (What's In It For Me) approach to closing a sale. So why can't we, or why should we not be doing the same with our connections? And when we do connect to a group, or a company, or a person, should we not have regular communication with them so that we are staying abreast of one another?

"The market wants you to be remarkable Most of all, the market has demonstrated that ideas that spread win, and the ideas that are spreading are the remarkable ones" (Godin, 2008). So let's be remarkable with one another and stay in touch with our "tribe" in which we have created. Our tribe follows us for a reason, so if we are not creating reasons to Followers Australia  us regularly then why are we spending the time on these social networking sites.

2 comments:

  1. Much obliged for sharing this valuable data through your blog, your all web journals are astonishing and I get a ton of data with the assistance of your blog thanks visit my blogs..

    ReplyDelete


  2. If you’re experiencing an0X0 0X0 Error the best thing to do is to call your provider and ask for help. They can help you find the fix and also provide valuable information about how to proceed. If you’re looking for a fix that may not be available to you, then you should contact your local Chamber of Commerce.

    ReplyDelete